Reading a recent blog by a college friend, Shailesh, about their visit to the Maha Kumbh Mela in Prayagraj (formerly Allahabad) brought back vivid memories of my own journeys to my grandparents' home nearby. Inspired by these recollections, this piece serves as a personal attempt to revisit and relive those cherished experiences.
The Echo of Triveni
Born in the sacred city of
Prayagraj (formerly Allahabad), the Triveni Sangam was a second home to me. From my earliest
memories, I recall the ethereal calm that enveloped me during our annual visits
to my grandparents’ home. Every year, like a faithful ritual, we would make our
way to the confluence of the rivers Ganga, Yamuna, and the mystical Saraswati.
The cold embrace of the holy waters, the gentle murmur of prayers, and the
warm, reassuring presence of my family, it became a part of my soul.
But life has a way of gently
ushering us away from the familiar. By the time I was a young man, the yearly
visits had dwindled. School, exams, and later the pressing responsibilities of
adulthood took their hold. The sacred dip at the Sangam became a distant
memory, as did the nurturing love of my grandparents.
A turn in life brought a harsh
choice, selling our ancestral farm to pay off a mounting debt and to provide for
my sister’s marriage. The decision, though necessary, left a quiet ache in my
heart. The land had been a part of our family’s story for generations, its soil
bearing witness to our shared joys and sorrows. That chapter closed, I found
myself visiting Prayagraj just twice during my undergraduate years. These
fleeting visits were like time travel, drawing me back to the warmth of my
grandmother's embrace and the playful indulgence of my Mamaji (brother of my Mom). Nostalgia held
me gently but firmly, whispering stories of childhood wonder.
Recently, as I read Shailesh's
vivid account of his Maha Kumbh experience, memories long buried beneath the
sands of time flooded my heart. For a moment, I was once again that carefree
child, splashing joyfully in the Sangam waters, unburdened by the weights of
the world.
Now, as I sit here reflecting, I
realize the profound truth these memories hold, they are a treasure, a reminder
to cherish what we have today. The past, with all its sweetness and sorrows,
teaches us the value of the present. Life’s blessings, no matter how fleeting,
are worth celebrating while they last.
Comments
Post a Comment