Skip to main content

A Spark in Nagpur

          The year was 1969, and the world held its breath. I was just a child, barely old enough to grasp the enormity of it, but the crackling voice of Neil Armstrong declaring "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" on July 20th resonated deep within me. Apollo 11's audacious journey to the moon, carrying those brave earthlings, wasn't just news; it was a cosmic whisper, igniting a spark of wonder in millions of young minds across the globe. I'm certain that moment alone inspired generations of kids, pushing them towards a profound curiosity about science, nudging them onto paths to become scientists, engineers, and doctors, all driven by a shared desire to serve humanity.

A few years later, that distant lunar echo found a vibrant, tangible form right in my hometown. Kasturchand Park, Nagpur, India, usually a quiet expanse, transformed into a bustling carnival of knowledge. A grand science exhibition was underway, its vibrant stalls and excited chatter drawing crowds from all corners. The air thrummed with the energy of discovery.

I was in 3rd grade then, and my Mom (Amma as we called her), with her characteristic enthusiasm, took me and my siblings to this grand exhibition. We went around the park, marveling at the various displays, learning a lot, and filled with a hopeful curiosity about what bright future such advancements promised us. I was certainly most impressed by the Apollo 11 Landing exhibit, its miniature rockets and lunar landscapes sparking an immediate desire to learn more about science and math in my classes.

This was a year of many significant impacts in my young life. The passing away of my maternal grandfather in Prayagraj (Allahabad) had cast a long shadow, and my Dad was suffering a huge loss in his restaurant business, adding a palpable tension to our home. Personally, I was wavering in my studies, having failed the first two trimester exams, a source of quiet anxiety. An event like this science exhibition was a much-needed positive change and inspiration amidst the turmoil.

Later, the next day, my dad asked me about my studies. I was a bit afraid to tell him the result of the 2nd trimester exams. But upon learning it, he was initially angry with me. Then, his tone softened, and he talked to me about what I would like to do later in life. I told him about my aspirations to be an engineer or a doctor—of course, the exhibition had left a profound impression on me. My dad then explained to me the importance of paying attention to studies and doing well in exams, emphasizing that these were the first steps toward achieving my dreams. It made a lasting impact on me, and I started focusing diligently on my studies in the remaining months of school. Finally, I did clear my final exams and got good marks in science and math.

Years later, when I remembered this incident after becoming an engineer, I felt immense gratitude for the words of my dad and the pride of making him proud. But, I missed him a lot, as I had lost him when I was only 12, and our family had to go through many troubles, including significant financial constraints. Yet, those hardships only made our resolve to succeed in life much more important, forging a resilience that continues to guide me.

The exhibition's themes were a proud testament to human ingenuity. One section meticulously recreated the moon landing, with intricate models of the Saturn V rocket and lunar module, complete with tiny astronauts. Children, their faces pressed against the glass, gazed in awe, perhaps dreaming of their own voyages to the stars.

Adjacent to this cosmic display were exhibits showcasing the marvels closer to home: India's majestic dams and their pivotal contribution to the agricultural revolution. Large, detailed maps illustrated how these engineering feats had tamed rivers, irrigated vast stretches of land and transformed barren fields into fertile breadbaskets. Farmers, their faces etched with wisdom, explained the profound impact on their lives.

Further on, the triumphs of medical science were celebrated. Displays on the development of vaccines and advancements in healthcare services painted a hopeful picture of a healthier future. Diagrams of the human body, microscopes revealing hidden worlds of microbes, and stories of doctors battling epidemics filled me with immense respect for those who dedicated their lives to healing. There were many more such examples of progress, each a beacon of human potential.

Walking through that exhibition, surrounded by the hum of innovation and the bright faces of aspiring young minds, I felt a deep connection to that momentous day in 1969. The moon landing had opened a door to the unknown, and now, here in Nagpur, the exhibition was showing us how that spirit of exploration and discovery was translating into tangible improvements for our own world. It was a powerful reminder that curiosity, when nurtured, can indeed move mountains or even land on the moon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mrs Singh, favorite class teacher, 3rd grade

Eight-year-old Rohan lived in Nagpur, a city in the heart of India. He was a third-grade student at St. John's School. His favorite person in the whole world, after his parents, was his class teacher, Mrs. Singh. Mrs. Singh was like a warm, comforting presence. She had a kind smile and a gentle voice, and she always encouraged her students to learn and have fun. She taught them most subjects, and her classes were always in the morning. Every day began with her taking attendance, followed by a story. These stories were what Rohan and his classmates looked forward to the most. Mrs. Singh had told them about her son, who was a fighter pilot in the Indian Air Force. She would say, with a mixture of pride and worry in her eyes, "He serves the country, it is his passion. But a mother's heart is always concerned." It was December 1971. Rohan could sense a change in the air. There was a lot of unrest in East Pakistan, which was far away from Nagpur, but its effects were being...

Summer Internship - College Training at a Factory

     The crisp Bay Area morning welcomed me as I stepped out of the car, the earthy scent of damp leaves drifting through the air. My weekend hikes were sacred, a time for reflection, solitude, and a chance to reset. As I made my way toward the trailhead, my playlist stirred to life, filling the quiet with familiar melodies from decades past.      Then came the mischievous beat  " एक आँख मारू तो पर्दा हट जाए ..." The infectious tune from Tohfa played, and a grin spread across my face. Nostalgia had snuck in, transporting me back to the days of summer training, when life had a rhythm dictated by train journeys, chemical formulas, and the quiet thrill of stepping into adulthood.      It had been the end of our third-year studies when the training and placement department assigned Sridhar and me to Kolhapur Sugar Mills. The factory sat deep in Maharashtra, and the only way to reach it was a grueling 24-hour train ride from Nagpur. W...

A Whisper on the Rails

     The city of Bangalore, with its relentless hum, had drained my spirit during a week-long work assignment. As my journey neared its end, my soul yearned for quiet, for repose. The sun dipped, painting the sky in hues of yearning, as I boarded the train to Bombay, a novel clutched in my hand, my sole companion. I found solace in my upper sleeper berth, stowing my world beneath me, and ascended, ready to drift. The station's murmur, the distant engine's call – a lullaby to a tired heart.      Then, just as the train's final whistle sighed its imminent departure, they appeared. A young woman, dusky and exquisitely beautiful, entered the compartment with her mother. Her presence was an immediate hush to the world's clamor, drawing my gaze, holding it captive. They settled into the berths directly opposite mine, and for a fleeting moment, my thoughts wove delicate tapestries, imagining their stories, before I gently guided my attention back to the printed pa...